Saturday, February 21, 2009

SANS Orlando 2009

So, next week I'll be attending the SANS Orlando event, and for the first time not taking a Security related course during the day. This being said, I do plan on attending the security talks in the evening, as well as the 'Wireless Intrusion Detection Tactics - Hands-On Workshop' being hosted Thursday evening by Paul Asadoorian (he co-hosts the PauldotCom Webcast <http://www.pauldotcom.com/>). The previous SANS event I attended was SANSFIRE in DC last year, which was a great time - I'm looking forward to this upcoming event!

Why take management classes instead of the security courses? Well, I had a tough time deciding on what I would like to attend, and this coupled with the fact of what I thought work might pay for, I decided to take a few Management courses. In my opinion, whether or not you aspire to be a manager, being familiar with the business/management needs of your organization is crucial to every IS/IT professional out there. Having the ability to discuss matters in business terms brings much more value to your career and helps to bridge the gap between the geeks and management. I know many times the geek in us would rather be sitting in the corner cranking out code or analyzing juicy logs, but being able to convey the importance of this to management enables us to not only keep our jobs, but also to be able to convey and leverage the importance of IT/IS in the workplace.

OK, enough of that for now...so your asking, "What are you going to be taking?" Well, see below for my schedule:

Monday March 2nd through Saturday March 7th:
Management 525: Project Management and Effective Communications for Security Professionals and Managers (Instructor: Jeff Frisk)

Sunday March 8th
Leadership and Management Competencies (Instructor: Stephen Northcutt)

SANS Evenings:
Sunday March 8th (1900-2000):Privacy Loss in a Pervasive Wireless World
Wednesday March 11th (1800-2100):The Enemy Within - Detecting Suspicious Network Traffic via Security Visualization Techniques
Thursday Night (1800-2100)Wireless Intrusion Detection Tactics - Hands-On Workshop

I'm still waiting on a confirmation for the Wednesday evening event - since it has a limited amount of seats - but if it doesn't work out, there are a slew of other good presos taking place in the same time slot. For those who have never attended a SANS event, it's a great time, and with all the cool events and luncheons taking place - it's intense and can be draining, due to information overload! I've met a lot of really cool people from these events, and hope to meet some more at this upcoming conference. If your going to be there, and happen to stumble across our blog, dart an email my way as I'd love to meet ya.

Link for the Event: <http://www.sans.org/sans2009>

Cheers,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment